District ResourcesOctober 9, 2022 2023-02-05 20:21
Is Your District Ready to Meet the SB 108 Mandate to Offer CS Courses in MS and HS?
If not, below are four easy steps to get there as well as some resources to help you. You can download a more detailed CS4GA District Planning Toolkit below.
Plan: Organize an Inclusive CS Planning Process
- Principals, teachers, media/digital specialists, counselors, and other relevant staff should be involved in planning and the first activity should be to organize all relevant district CS data
- Use existing planning resources or create your own plan
- CSforAll.org’s SCRIPT training is offered by GaDOE and GTech’s Constellations Center for Equity in Computing. You can learn more and sign your district team up for a training at the Constellations Center’s Implementation Workshop webpage.
- Code.org’s Administrator’s Guide for schools and districts can also be a helpful resource in planning.
Vertically Align: Create HS Cluster Plans to Vertically Align
ES > MS > HS
- To see an example from the Atlanta Public Schools on how they tried to organize and implement vertical alignment efforts in their High School cluster, CLICK HERE. We appreciated Dr. Brene’ Bradley from APS making it available to CS4GA.
Identify Quality CS Curriculum
K-12 CS Education Planning Resources
- GaDOE/Computer Science
- This resource provides updates for GA CS education, standards, rules and guidance for teachers, parents, and students.
- CS4GA is a collective impact effort that provides resources to connect with CS education events, PD available for teachers, and additional resources.
- This site is a resources that provides support to educators, parents, and students to ensure access to computer science education to all students but especially students in underserved communities.
- CEISMC provides intensive, innovative professional development to practicing teachers. CEISMC offers creative, highly engaging STEM in-school and extracurricular STEM experiences for K-12 students, while conducting research on effective STEM education practices.
- CSforALL is a resource that can provide research to support CS implementation at the K12 levels.
- This resource provides K-12 computer science curriculum and teacher PD.
- CS for All Teachers
- CS for All Teachers is a resource that provides virtual communities for PreK-12 educators. It also provides resources to educators from PreK through high school who are interested in teaching computer science.
Equity and Diversity Resources
- Computer Science Is for Everyone Student Recruitment Toolkit
- NCWIT Counselors for Computing resources
- Profiles of CS professionals and students with disabilities from Alliance for Access to Computing Careers
- Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA) information and membership
- Strategies for Effective and Inclusive CS Teaching course by the University of Texas at Austin
- Free STEM Resources and Opportunities for BIPOC, AAPIs, and Allies
- Code.org Administrator’s Guide